How to create a practice of enhancing intimacy:
- Learn to tolerate difficult feelings through abdominal breathing. Deep breaths bring you back into the present moment.
- Remember that all feelings have a rise and fall. The intensity of any feeling you experience will subside.
- Actively listen to your partner or friend by paying close attention to the nonverbal cues as well as the spoken words.
- Share your own thoughts and feelings to help strengthen the connection with your partner or friend.
- Self-disclosure leads to greater openness, deepens bonds and builds trust in a relationship.
- Practice unconditional kindness. Your partner will likely return in kind.
- Improve your capacity for compromise by paying attention to the needs and wishes of your partner and being willing to meet half way or better
- Build patience and empathy into your interactions