How to create the practice of mindful walking:
- Pay attention to standing on both feet
- Notice the contact your feet are making with the ground.
- Take a few abdominal breaths.
- Begin walking slowly with awareness.
- Observe the action of the feet as they move and connect with the ground.
- Think about ‘heel’ and ‘toe’ or ‘stepping’ and ‘placing down’ as you transfer your weight through each step.
Mindful walking works particularly well for those who find it difficult to sit and meditate. The benefits are comparable. Like the sitting meditation, this technique helps develop heightened awareness, suppleness of the mind, and a greater sense of well-being. Choose a safe, ideally uncrowded place of natural beauty.
Practice several times daily